Monday, January 12, 2015

NYT profile of Mark Helfrich

Screenshot from YouTube
A couple of things from this well-done Tim Rohan profile of Mark Helfrich stood out to me.

1) The photo was taken by Ryan Kang, my former colleague at the University of Oregon's student newspaper, the Daily Emerald. Sad to see Kang struggling so much...

2) This quote: 

"'He always did a good job of not making you feel dumb,' said Rudy Carpenter, one of his quarterbacks at Arizona State."

I covered Oregon football last year for the Emerald. On one of my first media days, a fellow reporter told me (paraphrased), "Helfrich gives substance-less answers as much as Chip Kelly did, only Helfrich makes you feel better when he answers." I didn't cover Kelly, but I can vouch for the Helfrich part. I'd attend media sessions after practices every day, and when Helfrich spoke, I felt like he was giving great answers that would make my post-practice recap shine. Then, I would transcribe his interviews and 99 percent of his answers were in coach-speak. Frustrating for reporters but brilliant for a coach trying to carve a positive image of his program.

But I never got the sense that Helfrich was playing the media. He was simply following his job description: deflect, deflect and deflect some more. And he seemed to respect the media, despite dreading talking to us (which coach doesn't?). Kelly seems to enjoy embarrassing reporters; Helfrich seems to do the opposite. He didn't make you feel dumb.

Tonight will be a big test for Helfrich against a great coach in Urban Meyer. A loss will heap additional doubts on Helfrich's already burdened shoulders. A win will make people say, "Huh, Chip is regarded as a better coach but Helfrich actually won a title." It's a flawed argument, but at least it will confirm what we've seen for a while: Helfrich is a good coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment